Orthopaedic Surgery Cost

Surgery Fees

The private health system provides comprehensive care for your medical conditions however, it can be difficult to understand the different fees involved.

The government (through Medicare) and your health insurance cover a portion of your medical fees. Each health fund chooses to provide cover only up to a certain level. This level can differ between health funds and even within the same health fund through different policies.

How are fees set?

Mr Chua sets his fees in accordance with the industry standards set by the Australian Medical Association (AMA) and so the standard fee for the same operation does not change between patients.

Why is there a gap?

The gap is the difference between the surgeon’s fees and the rebates provided by Medicare and the health funds. Medicare provides 75% of the Medicare Benefits Schedule fee and your health fund provides the remaining 25%*

*from Doctor’s Bills, Australian Government brochure, August 2014

Variation between funds

Individual health funds choose to cover only a certain amount for each operation. Some funds cover more than others, and fees can also vary due to your level of cover and your choice of policy.

Costs Associated with Your Operation

Mr Chua’s fee covers the surgery and the initial post-operative consultations, known as the aftercare period, which is usually six weeks.

His fee does not cover costs associated with other practitioners involved in your care, including your anaesthetist, surgical assistant and physicians. It does not include any excess or co-payments you may have on your health insurance policy.

Slings, crutches, braces, or orthotics provided by the hospital may or may not be covered by your health fund.

Unexpected findings or unplanned, extended hospital stays may incur further costs not covered by your health fund.

Please feel free to discuss any questions regarding surgery fees with Mr Chua. He is happy to answer any queries you have or clarify any information for you.